Satellite
  • Day 40

    Chill day at swimming spots

    May 7, 2016 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    With all this traveling we decided to have a chill day. We had heard from Cotty about this Blue Hole. She didn't know where this secret swimming hole but told us to try find it. The locals we met the night before have us directions so we went there.

    Down a road there is a gate which clearly states that this is a sacred site for the aboriginals. It is the only meant for female aboriginals and that the elders are responsible for taking care of it. The sign didn't prohibit others entering but asked that you respect the sacredness and not enter. Oh my, that's even worse! We proceeded waiting for wrath to strike us down. We got to the spot and it was gorgeous no doubt. The swimming area was off to the right and we needed better shoes to get there so didn't swim.

    We then drove an hour to check out Cow's Bay. Little bit of a disappointment which is ridiculous. We were like 'Oh just another beautiful beach where the rainforest meets the sea.'

    The whole time were were driving in the area we saw signs to watch out for the cassowaries and pictures of emus. Never heard of a cassowary but we found out. From a distance we saw an emu. Upon closer look we saw this black bird with a blue and red head. Later we found out that it was rare to see them so again we got lucky with animals in the wild.

    Next on our stop was another swimming hole, this one public knowledge. Beyond Cape Trib is only dirt road and at some point becomes a 4x4 only trail. Insurance covers nothing for the camper if you drive on dirt roads but we did anyway. It was a little sketchy at times but we made it. A little walk and an absolutely gorgeous swimming hole.

    Had lunch there and then went back to our campsite to finally chill. I could only handle less than an hour and I was up again to take a walk on the beach. I've never seen a tide that changes so much. It was about 400 yards from where it had been at high tide.

    Had our afternoon drinks and cooked dinner. Then took a walk along the beach to the local backpacker bar to listen to some live music. Pretty good and nice to get out. Then we walked home along the beach that was now high tide and literally wiped out the beach at times. Not such a good idea especially because now there were estuaries entering the sea and this is serious crocodile country. Again lucky with animals, this time NOT sighting one!

    So much for a chill day.
    Read more