Satellite
  • Day 17

    Last Full Day in Tasmania

    December 29, 2021 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    Wow!! What a day!! The boys decided to go to the movies in Bellerive to see the new Spiderman movie, leaving us girl to explore on our own.

    So we caught the Bellerive ferry (Hobart is trialling a ferry service throughout the Derwent River suburbs over the next 10 years) to the Brookes St Pier in Hobart City, where we saw the maxi's from the Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race that finished when 'Black Jack' the Monaco maxi crossed the finish line here in Hobart (at 1.30am!!) followed by Sydney's 'Law Connect' and then Hong Kong's 'Scallywag' crossing the finish line in third position.

    'Black Jack' was under heavy security at Constitution Dock but I did manage to get photographs. 'Law Connect' was nowhere to be found, found out later she was on her way back to Sydney. However I got to photograph 'Scallywag' up close and even touch her deck 😊😊 She is pretty magnificent. I have never been someone who is interesting in maxi yachts even going so far as to get seasickness and vertigo from being on boats and ships but this was really interesting!! When in Rome!!

    We went on the Hop On Hop Off red double decker bus that gave us lots of information about Hobart and her history. It was so interesting and informative and it took an hour and a half to do the full loop.

    We got off at Wrest Point casino, Australia's oldest legal casino, where we had afternoon tea/late lunch and hit the poker machines where I gave $30 and Nik gave $5 to the Tasmanian economy and waited for the bus to come around again. We got off, met the boys for a quick trip to Glenorchy and then travelled to kunanyi/Mount Wellington where we were 1.2km above Hobart. The boys loved it.

    We then went to Billy's Burgers and Bar for dinner at showed the boys the maxi's and went back to our apartment. It's last minute washing and getting some packing done before we have to leave to go back home to Brisbane tomorrow.

    It seems like forever that we left. It seems so long ago when we were in Oatlands looking at the Callington Mill windmill and marvelling at all the sheep and feeling happy to finally be here/be back. We have had such an adventure and I can't wait to be back!!!! I love it here, I love the peace, the people, the weather, the Tassie time, and her beautiful landscape. This will be our home one day, I just know it.
    Read more