Satellite
  • Day 44

    Paracas

    February 27, 2020 in Peru ⋅ 🌙 24 °C

    Yesterday we went on a boat trip to Ballestas island to visit some of the wildlife! There were TONS UPON TONS of birds and we even saw some sea lions! Some of them were even sleeping amongst the rocks and it was one of the cutest things I have seen in my life! We were hoping to see some penguins on the island as well, but it was the time of year when they stay further behind on the island to change their plumage, so unfortunately we didn’t get to see any 😔.

    On the way to the island we saw a HUGE etching in the sand that looks like a cactus? Nobody knows who made it or when it was made, but there was some pottery that was found nearby, carbon dated to 200 BCE. Thats SUPER old!

    The island’s birds produce something called guano, which is a super fertiliser, high in phosphorus. Guano sells for £1,000,000 (1 million pounds) per 1000 tons, and there was even a war to see who got the Guano because it was so valuable! Now, the government harvests Guano and sells it across the world.

    Across from our hotel, in the sea, there are about 4 flamingos 🦩 but they are white with only a few strips of pink on them because they dont eat a lot of shrimp. Apparently they are called Andean Flamingos, and are the rarest kind of flamingos! There are also quite a few jellyfish, so I really don’t want to go swimming in the sea 💀!
    Read more