Satellite
  • Day 44

    Derby

    August 9, 2019 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    Ian and I were both a little concerned about the lack of movement coming from Young Frank's (the man with the Britonies) caravan. To the extent we phoned him before we hit the road again. All was well, he reasured us. So off we headed, to our powered site at Willare Roadhouse, 48km from Derby. We parked, had a very unhealthy lunch, and plugged in everything we could to recharge. Travelling up to Derby we passed so many Boab trees. It is believed the first Boab tree arrived on Australian soil over 2000 years ago, washed up from Matagaska. Some of the trees still alive in the area are incredibly large. We found Woolworths and BWS, and then for a walk along the pier. The tide was way out, and what water can be seen on the mudflats was a mucky brown colour. Derby experiences one of the largest tides in the world, with a high tide reaching as much as 11 metres. Derby was a pleasant town, and the rodeo was on this weekend, however, we couldn't find where exactly.
    I managed to grab a seed from a Boab on the way home. We also called into the Boab prison tree on our journey back to the Roadhouse.
    Read more