Satellite
  • Day 88

    Lesotho - Day 2

    February 20, 2020 in Lesotho ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    Sadly, I could hear heavy rain on the roof of my accommodation as I awoke at around 7am which would put pay to doing a trek in the mountains as I had planned. I therefore got up for a shower at a leisurely pace and enjoyed having my own space in my own room. I joined my fellow travellers for a light breakfast in the communal kitchen we had been allocated. After spending some more time relaxing in my room, I played some table tennis with fellow traveller, Kristen. It took me a while to get back to playing again as I hadn't played table tennis for many years, but I started to get back into the rhythm of playing, and Kristen played to a good standard, so that I slowly improved even though she was beating me I got closer to matching her. It was an enjoyable game and passed the time while it rained outside. I had some lunch and the weather began to clear so that I could begin to see the mountains surrounding the hostel for the first time.
    I rested in my room after lunch and then returned to the bar. The clouds had further cleared from the mountains so I walked around the perimeter of the hostel and out of the front gates to take photos of the mountain. I then found a really nice spot to take photos of the mountains in a field at the back of the hostel grounds. I then went to the games room to play table tennis with my fellow travellers, Grant, Jemma, Kristen and Graham. We had some more close and enjoyable games playing doubles. After the table tennis we went to the bar to play pool doubles which was equally enjoyable. We then had macaroni cheese cooked by the cook group in the communal kitchen. We all returned to our dorm rooms for an early night. However, I noticed that the skies had cleared and the night sky was blazing with stars of the milky way. This was probably the best night sky I had seen on my travels through Africa so I spent a lot of time looking at the night sky and taking photos. I had been having difficulty getting into and out of my room as the wooden door appeared to have warped with all the rain. I therefore had to force the door open with my shoulder. I eventually settled into sleep on a less than comfortable mattress where the springs pushed through.
    Read more