Satellite
  • Day 3

    Good morning, David!

    September 30, 2017 in Italy ⋅ 🌙 17 °C

    We started our day at the Accademia, visiting Michelangelo's David -- so much more breathtaking in person than in photos! The photo of the blue inside of the dome and the following photo are from the Sacristy in the Basilica de San Lorenzo, one of several churches that claim to be the oldest church in Florence. The church was consecrated in 393.

    The big hunk of beef, the rabbit, and the chickens (and chicken heads) were just a few of many offered at Mercato Centrale, which is Florence's version of Seattle's Pike Place Market (without the fish throwing). This kind of place is frustrating when you know you can't take most of the goodies home with you!

    Martha and I did some shopping, and then we went to Mass at the Duomo. Hardest kneelers ever, I am not kidding!! After Mass, in the Piazza del Duomo, we found the annual Carro Matto -- a salute to the arrival of the first bottles of wine for the season. To read more about the "crazy cart," go to https://www.visitflorence.com/florence-events/c…

    We wrapped up the evening with another dinner across the street, including fried fresh porcini (we did some serious damage to the porcini pile from Thursday's report), pappardelle with rabbit, Tuscan beef stew, lamb stew with artichokes, and biscotti with generous pours of Vin Santo. A fine celebration on our last night in Florence. On to Siena tomorrow!
    Read more