Satellite
  • Day 10

    Modica, Sicily, Italy

    October 11, 2021 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 18 °C

    modica is known for its chocolate - let's go!!! 😜
    cioccolato di modica is a specialty officially recognized by the italian ministry as "prodotto agroalimentare tradizionale italiano". it is made cold (a freddo) according to a traditional recipe and not conched. of course, i had to look at it and searched for the most traditional chocolate factory and visited the kitchen. for six generations and more than 150 years, antica dolceria bonajuto has been producing its own chocolate, sweets and nougats by hand according to traditional recipes from modican and sicilian tradition. i had to be very restrained when shopping 😜...
    modica is also otherwise a very beautiful town. it is located at an altitude of 296m and 20km southeast of ragusa on the southern slopes of the monti iblei. the arabs conquered the city in 845 and named it mohac. in the 11th century the normans, took over the city.
    there are some beautiful churches, one of which is particularly worth seeing is the 12th century church of san giorgio. it is at the end of a staircase with 250 steps. you can climb the church tower for a fee and from there you have a great view of the city. like other towns in the val di noto, modica was destroyed by the severe earthquake in 1693, which killed 60,000 people in sicily. the city was rebuilt in the sicilian baroque style, including the church of san giorgio (in the 17th century by rosario gagliardi).
    Read more