Satellite
  • Day 7

    Travelling to Egilsstaðir

    October 31, 2016 in Iceland ⋅ ⛅ 5 °C

    Today has been a travelling day really, with the odd stop (or three) for photos on the way. Maybe we're Penguins today!

    After breakfast we took the first photo of the view from where we've stayed the last three nights. We then started our journey to Egilsstaðir, which is just about the furthest you can get from Reykjavik unless you count all the places where the puffins hang out ... and who would want to photograph a load of puffins?

    The route along the coast was an ever changing vista of towering mountains and wide valleys. For photography though, the light remained flat, but we took a few photos on the way and spent some time just east of Hofn photographing Mt Vestrahorn trying to find the best composition ... someone can decide when we bore you with our photographs if we succeeded.

    We managed to grab a coffee and cake at Breiðdalsvík before being given the best (only) sunset so far. The final leg of the journey included a dirt road with hairpin bends and fantastic views. A wild landscape indeed, though tomorrow we travel through the Icelandic Highlands to the North where, perhaps, snow and the Aurora awaits.
    Read more