Satellite
  • Day 13

    Northern Lights

    February 18, 2018 in Iceland ⋅ ⛅ -1 °C

    We weren't quite sure how good a chance there'd be to see the Aurora tonight. Rob has that App on his phone to predict the possibility of seeing it and it wasn't that optimistic. We did wonder if it would appear though, given the extremely clear skies and how cold it was ... the first indicators to look for.

    We'd had our meal and returned to our room and were reviewing the photos of the day, with Rob checking the App every now and then. Suddenly, the App showed really good figures for around midnight, really good, and we decided to get kitted up and go. Whilst putting on all the clothing layers, Rob lightheartedly looked through the curtains and, even in the town and through the window, there they were - the Northern Lights.

    We drove about 20 minutes west to a place we'd spotted earlier in the day looking out to sea but with mountains as a backdrop. The show had already begun of course, so we set up our cameras and spent at least two and a half hours experimenting to get the best photographs we could. However, this was not any ordinary Northern Lights event, this was a Marks & Spencer's Northern Lights event. The Aurora spanned the entire sky with ever changing patterns of green and white, punctuated with tints of red and even orange. It was so bright too and at times cast shadows in an eerie green light. It was truly spectacular and a bigger event than we'd seen at Jokulsarlon. Truly amazing!

    Eventually the show faded and we left. Yet again on this trip we have been blessed with an amazing day.
    Read more