Satellite
  • Day 13

    Arches and Pillars

    February 18, 2018 in Iceland ⋅ 🌬 -1 °C

    Having travelled to the south of the Peninsula we had decided we'd travel clockwise following the road around the end and back to our hotel. This meant we'd do part of the route we'd covered yesterday but it also meant we'd be at Kirkjufell around sunset, if there was one. There wasn't.

    We stopped at a few sites on the way to see an arch for example, which also included an opportunity to spot photographers on location. In this we were extremely lucky and were able to spot lenses and tripods of various sizes as well as strange hats and footwear. This was, of course, marginally more interesting than the sea stacks we saw, especially as it was far too cold to be hanging around a bunch of old rocks being splashed with icy water. Or was that a bunch of old codgers splashed with snow.

    One of our stops was to see some upright remnants of a volcano. It was here that, for some odd reason, the weather completely changed and a fierce and biting cold wind got up which made photography here quite a challenge. This wind was relentless and whipped up the snow as we continued our journey, making driving difficult at times.
    Read more