Satellite
  • Day 3

    First Midge Encounter

    August 19, 2018 in Scotland ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    The good weather was welcomed and even more welcoming, apart from the sight of an even higher density of camper vans on Skye than on the mainland, was discovering there was plenty of room at the camp site ... only £8 a night too! Even better, there was a breeze when Rob arrived which meant the midges were grounded.

    The tent was soon erected, the sleeping mat blown-up using Rob’s home-made blower-upper, the sleeping bag installed and a coffee brewed. A home from home for sure, except that at 7pm the breeze subsided and the midges arrived in their masses, with people waving there arms and rubbing faces whilst pulling on long sleeved garments and coating themselves in anti-midge sprays, creams or anything else that might work. Rob reached for the Avon Skin So Soft which actually does appear to keep them away. They’re still there of course, and as soon as you stop walking they’re be all around you, but they do seem to be suitably repelled from using you for their evening snack.

    After a meal at Seumas’ bar just over the road (the white building you can see) Rob returned and spent some time in the car, mainly to avoid the annoyance of the midges. Skin So Soft may repel them from biting you but they’re still a bit of a nuisance which is why several people were wearing midge nets.

    It’s getting into the tent at bedtime that’s the tricky bit. First you go to the loo block for the end of day routine. Then you collect all the things you need in the tent and sneakily unzip it, in the dark, and throw them in. Next you run around the camp site like a madman to outrun the pesky insects then, as fast as you can, unzip the tent and dive in and zip up. Annoyingly, you turn the light on and spend ages killing the hundred or so midges that were shrewd enough to wait by the zip for when you arrive. You just have to face it ... you’re in midge country so you simply have to grin and bear it.

    Bet you’re impressed with the colour coordination inside the tent. You are, aren’t you!
    Read more