Satellite
  • Day 4

    Old Man of Storr

    August 20, 2018 in Scotland ⋅ ⛅ 10 °C

    It doesn’t take long to drive from the camp site to the parking area by the path leading to the Old Man of Storr and from this moment on the day became completely different to what Rob expected or planned. When he arrived it was packed with tourists but there was one Volvo sized place which was handy. Loads of camper vans and quite a number of travellers from various parts of Europe.

    The idea was to take the path, take a photo if there was one to be grabbed then go back to the car and continue north. In the end it became a peaceful day in the mountains when Rob took a side path and found hardly anyone else took the same route. The views were amazing from up there with a clear view across to the mainland. Photography-wise it was nothing special because the light remained flat all day, but it didn’t stop Rob trying to find a decent composition. There were plenty but the light just didn’t help at all and he decided it wasn’t worth the effort of walking further on past the main rock features to get the classic shot looking south.

    In the end Rob spent the whole day in that area and 5pm arrived without him even noticing. By the time he was back at the car brewing the coffee it was near 6pm and time to head back. Surprisingly, it turned out the day wasn’t finished yet.
    Read more