Satellite
  • Day 1

    Travelling and Arrival

    September 30, 2018 in Greece ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

    This is going to be a very different adventure to the one in August 2018. For a start, it's to a place where the temperatures are around 24c and the chance of rain far less probable ... hopefully! A big difference though, apart from the fact it involves a 38ft yacht and a load of sailing, is that Rob isn't travelling alone this time. His daughter, Penny, and her partner Tom provide the sailing expertise as they are both qualified Skippers and experienced with sailing yachts and all that goes with it. The fourth member of the crew is Alan, Rob's 90 year old Dad, who is really looking forward to the trip.

    The flight was 3.5hrs leaving from Manchester and the best view on the way was as the plane flew over the Alps. Though the mountains could be clearly seen, they were shrouded in an ethereal mist which gave them very much the feel of another world. Upon landing at Preveza in western Greece, the magic continued when the group were greeted at the airport with the most amazing and brightly coloured rainbow. Rob, of course, just had to photograph it (only with his phone though) and you can see the results in this footprint. The rainbow wasn't really wobbly in the middle but something didn't quite work with the panorama mode on the phone camera. You perhaps get the idea though.

    The journey ended after a twenty minute transfer to the marina where the four mariners were introduced to their floating home for the next week. It was dark when they arrived so it was difficult to tell what the surroundings looked like. Guess they find out tomorrow.
    Read more