Satellite
  • Day 3

    Sailing to Kefalonia (Morning)

    October 2, 2018 in Greece ⋅ ⛅ 24 °C

    Having checked the weather forecast for today, at one point it suggested rain but fortunately it was wrong because the weather turned out to be just right ... bright and sunny with very pleasant temperatures. For sailing, the wind was great in the morning but virtually non-existent in the afternoon.

    The day, then, started with the standard morning briefing where the destination is set and the sea conditions given. Then, having taken breakfast in a small restaurant, it was back to Rincewind to prepare to leave. This didn't take long at all and Rob was really excited when he was given the opportunity to take the helm to steer the yacht from its moorings and out to sea. In no time at all the boat was in open water and the sails were raised.

    It turned out to be a great morning sailing with a steady wind (yesterday it kept changing direction) and the yacht maintaining a really good speed. At times waves broke over the bow and you really felt like you were moving. Penny & Tom commented this was probably the best wind they'd had in Greece and maybe this was helped by the fact they were sailing in open water - as the course changed southward the wind died down.

    At lunchtime Penny & Tom knew of a quiet little bay to anchor for lunch and this is just what they did. Lunch consisted of Greek salad, nibbles and rum punch ... it really is a hard life!

    Penny decided to go swimming and commented how warm the water felt, once you were in. Rob spent some time feeding a shoal of fish with some bread left over from the meal and Alan & Tom just spent the time relaxing.
    Read more