Satellite
  • Travelling to Gatwick

    February 26, 2019 in England ⋅ 🌙 11 °C

    So this is it - a return trip to Norway flying from Gatwick to Tromsø to begin a photography adventure well inside the Arctic Circle.

    The journey begins, however, with a drive down to Gatwick and an overnight stay in a B&B in Horley. I stayed here in December when the focus was on surprising my daughter, Penny, with a trip to see the Aurora, sight whales, ride a dog sled and more. That was a truly amazing trip but the focus this time is photography. All the gear is packed - and within the weight limits - so tomorrow it's to the airport when the trip officially begins.

    I arrived in Horley just as the sun was setting. There'd been clear blue skies all day and at one point when travelling down the M40 the car reported 21c ... in February, in Britain. It must surely be a dream. The sun was setting low over the airport buildings, offering a really atmospheric view driving along the dual carriageway towards my destination. It was worthy of a first photo but no opportunities to capture one, not whilst driving.

    Tromsø isn't quite so warm of course. Guess it'll come as a bit if a shock!
    Read more