Satellite
  • Day 4

    Photography Before Breakfast

    March 2, 2019 in Norway ⋅ 🌙 -5 °C

    The alarm was set for 5.30am and a sneak peek through the curtains revealed clear skies and calm weather, which was what I hoped for. So once again it was time to layer-up and venture out into -7c.

    My destination was again the Bergsbotn Viewpoint because hopefully the morning light would create a subtly different scene. I expected other photographers to be there when I arrived at around 6.15am but in fact I had the place to myself, only interrupted when two walkers arrived to park their car there before setting off down the road.

    I stayed for quite a while taking photos as the sun rose and the light changed. You can see from the photos in this footprint how the light is gentle at first, about half-an-hour before sunrise, and when the light increases the scene soon looks completely different. The third photo I took when I arrived back at the hotel for breakfast at around 8am so comparing the three you can perhaps see why photographers love the beginning and end of the day, an hour or so either side of sunset or sunrise.

    It was just lovely this morning. Yes it was cold and yes it was a little bit of a push to leave a warm bed and head out into Arctic temperatures, but it was so relaxing and peaceful watching the light change as the sun moved gently upward to the horizon then rising above it and painting the landscape in a beautiful red-orange glow. A magical experience for sure.

    Then, in a moment, it's all over and the day had arrived.
    Read more