Satellite
  • Day 4

    An Unexpected Meal

    May 4, 2019 in Morocco ⋅ 🌙 16 °C

    We met in the hotel lobby to go and meet the rest of the group. We knew we weren’t eating in a restaurant tonight but we didn’t really know what to expect to be honest. It was to be a surprise and all we knew was we had to bring cameras and tripods etc for an astrophotography workshop after the meal or, for the uninitiated, a workshop photographing the stars. We were a bit perplexed by this because when we arrived it was about as cloudy as it could get and from the lobby we could hear it was raining. So how was all this going to work then?

    Our first surprise was when we went outside, for whilst we had relaxed in our rooms it hadn’t just been thunder, there had been a massive cloudburst and the car park was now a lake. We did get to meet up with the rest of the group but we had to find a way to cross the car park which took several attempts, but we made it without getting wet. It even stopped raining as we walked to the meeting point. No stars though, not even one.

    Katrina then took us down narrow streets which meant our torches we’d brought came in handy but it was tricky at times because everywhere was flooded. Eventually, then, we made it to our Moroccan host where we discovered we were to eat home-cooked food in his house. This turned out to be a great experience and everyone enjoyed it tremendously. The food was excellent and afterwards our host demonstrated the ritual of making mint tea and showed us around is home. There was even a cake for one of our group whose birthday was today. Amazing.

    The photos in this footprint give you the flavour of the evening ... pun intended.
    Read more