Satellite
  • Day 5

    A Late Night After All

    May 5, 2019 in Morocco ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    It was a really good evening and such a privilege to spend it in the home of such a friendly person. We’d stayed a long time and it was quite late when we collected our things together and headed out into the darkness. We looked up - and there were the stars to greet us. It wasn’t perfectly clear though as quite a lot of cloud still hung around especially near the horizon where we knew the Milky Way was rising. We walked slowly through the town a little disappointed to be honest, with some of the group declaring they were actually quite tired and questioning if it was worth attempting photography. After a while it was decided it wasn’t and Katrina said we should call it a night. So that seemed to be the end of it then.

    Three of us were left: myself, Monique and her husband Nigel who had come to support Monique, the photographer of the two. Nigel knew the theory but had commented he still couldn’t take a decent photo because he simply didn’t have the eye for it. I was disappointed the evening has stoped without the night photography and Monique really didn’t want to give up either so after a brief discussion the three of us decided we’d head to the car park in front of our hotel and simply have a go. What had we got to lose? Only time - and sleep of course.

    So there we were, in the car park by the newly formed lake and setting up our tripods and having a go. I showed Monique how to focus her camera when it’s pitch black and we stayed up until the early hours taking photos. Not all that many to be honest but we each did get at least one we were extremely pleased with. You see, after a while those clouds drifted away and we were left to enjoy our galaxy on full display.

    Those who have followed my blog before will know that all the photos I post here are taken with my phone ... except the night sky photos of the Aurora and, tonight, the Milky Way. This is my image from Ait Ben Haddou which I took on the posh camera and processed after I got home. Enjoy.

    So was it worth persevering and losing some sleep? You bet your life it was!

    (That bright star is Jupiter in case you are wondering)
    Read more