Satellite
  • Day 8

    Time to Leave

    October 3, 2021 in Greece ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    A little earlier a start today because at 9am the yacht must be vacated and handed back to the flotilla company. The last of the bags was packed and transferred ashore, which sounds very grand until you realise that actually means the bags were carried off the boat! There were a few goodbyes, especially to Lou and Dylan who had coordinated things all week and who now glady received everyone's drinks leftovers and, it seems, various supplies of loo roll and other miscellaneous items. Plenty of thanks were given too.

    The minibus to transfer to the airport wasn't due until 11am so the adjacent Yacht Club bar was the destination for breakfast. Yes, just to make you jealous, photo 4 is actually the view as we sipped coffee, ate Greek yoghurt and honey and consumed early morning crepes ... and more. Heaven or what!

    Rob went for an arty photo again, of a single yacht offshore, but you will have to wait to see that because the posh camera was used instead of the phone.

    So that was it then, it's all over. The transfer to the airport went smoothly as did check-in and even though the flight departure was delayed, time was clawed back and the plane landed only a few minutes late at Gatwick.

    On arrival the assisted travel through the airport was luxury on steroids as we were once again whisked past queues and were given the honour of passport control coming to us to check passports etc rather than the other way around. Plus, our Border Force officer was the model of courtesy and even joked with Rob so how pleasant is that, making you wonder why this isn't the norm ... the pleasantness and fun bit that is - you can't expect them to come and see every arriving passenger. Let's be reasonable here.

    It's been a wonderful week of predominantly blue skies and lovely temperatures. All four of us commented how nice it had been and how relaxed it all was. Alan also said how much better he felt, not just physically but mentally too. It's been a long time since foreign places had been seen and/or visited and this week made you realise just how much that was missed. Was it worth going? You bet it was!

    Without all the effort and skills of Penny & Tom, none of this could never have happened so thank you both, for making this a week to remember.
    Read more