Satellite
  • Day 5

    Day two at Jwalabanj Village

    March 22, 2022 in India ⋅ ☀️ 18 °C

    We awakened to an amazing Indian breakfast of stuffed bread with potatoes, eggs, granola and fruit. We then set off on a “gentle downhill stroll” to the local village. After about 45 min we first stumbled upon the elementary school where the kids were starting their exams. The village is spread out over the mountain and many kids walk up to an hour each way. It was then a short jaunt to the first neighborhood where we got to experience a naming ceremony. 11 days after a child is born the village (and surrounding villages) comes together to watch the head priest bless the child and family - the baby is then named. This is an all day affair but we were able to visit with the family and experience the start of their celebration.

    We continued on to see a sacred shrine. Legend has it that the Ganges used to flow through this village. A powerful priest who had his shrine along the river called out to his favorite cow to come back home - the cows name was also Ganges and the river thought the priest was ordering the river away to its original home which is where the Ganges now flows. Today there is a small stream that still feeds the village with plenty of fresh spring water.

    Another 30 minutes and we arrive at the next neighborhood. The people are so friendly and welcoming. One family offered us water and tea and then one of the girls offered to decorate my (Christina) hand in traditional style. This was an amazing experience but suffice to say I will not be getting a hand tattoo 🤣. Ama (Mom) was offered a chair out of respect.

    We continued on down a very steep path for another 30 minutes. At the road head our driver picked us up to take us up the road 10 minutes to a 10th century temple for lunch. Lunch was amazing!! After lunch we strolled around the temple exploring the nooks and crannies.

    We had the option to walk back but both elected to take the car back to the house. Later that evening we had another spectacular dinner and played scrabble until bedtime.
    Read more