Satellite
  • Day 31

    Car Trouble on the Dalton Highway

    July 26, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 54 °F

    At the end of our trek to the Arctic Ocean we discovered a leak in our radiator. We limped our way to Fairbanks (255 miles and 9 hrs), stopping every 20 miles to check/refill the radiator.

    Not cool man! 😕

    We stopped by the Arctic Circle Information Center and met Sheila, the host. She awarded us our Arctic Circle certificate and told us to put pepper in our radiator to stop the leak. So we did. To our surprise, it worked.! The leak stopped, enabling us to travel without stopping every 20 minutes.

    To add to the excitement, we had nearly whiteout conditions for the last 30 miles. It was a combination of smoke, fog, and a drenching rain storm.

    Goodbye Dalton Highway...you almost kicked our ass.

    To add more excitement, we had to drive uphill on the Elliott Hwy, in construction zone, in a downpour, in three inches of mud that stuck very well to truck and trailer. Dave was driving in four wheel drive, both hands on the wheel, and wondering if we were going to make it. We over came.

    Arrived safety in Fairbanks and staying in the Rivers Edge RV "Resort". We need a beer!
    Read more