Satellite
  • Day 1

    Ready for the arctic?

    September 3, 2017 in Greenland ⋅ ⛅ 5 °C

    It's time for another hiking adventure :) This time I'm headed into the Arctic - the most northern trip I've done - and luckily in one of the four snow-free months in South-Western Greenland. The idea for this trip started over a year ago when Johanne and I met on a hiking trip in Norway http://bit.ly/2f3TN3U. That day, we didn't only decide to become friends, but also to see each other again on another hike :) We've met up in Copenhagen and Berlin since and are now finally going to hang out in the wilderness again!

    Our hike will be just under 2 weeks and around 260km, going between Kangerlussuaq (Greenland's international airport), the ice cap and Sisimiut, a coastal town of 5,000 people and Greenland's second biggest city. We're packed up with food for 14 days, warm clothing for temperatures well below freezing and a ton of excitement for a good adventure ahead.

    Our adventure started today right when arriving at the small town of Kangerlussuaq. Our first task was to find gas for cooking, since we cannot take gas cans on the airplane. We had done our research and knew the local supermarket should have some - which it didn't. "Sold out." "Hmm. Where else can we find some?" "No idea." End of conversation for the sales rep. End of 2 weeks cooking warm dinners for us. But we weren't going to give up and eventually found gas at a little ice cream shop.

    So with the heaviest backpacks, we headed out in the late afternoon towards the ice cap. The road east is easy and after just 2 hours, we made camp by a river. Feels great to be back on the trails and sleeping in my tent. It'll be great to eat more and more of the food so the pack can weigh less and less ;)
    Read more