Satellite
  • Day 2

    Just for laughs festival

    July 25, 2019 in Canada ⋅ ⛅ 23 °C

    I am writing this a day later so things may not exactly be accurate.
    After breakfast we walked around the area of the hotel to orient ourselves with the streets. Turns out our hotel is short walks to the places we want to go or just a quick ride on the metro. Glad we didn't rent a car for this portion of the trip, it would have been useless. Parking is very difficult to find.
    Back to the graffiti I was talking about yesterday. Its everywhere. Much like Regina, there are murals on many buildings, I think to discourage the graffiti, but sadly some of these also have graffiti on them.
    After figuring out the streets we walked to the Just for Laughs festival site. Turns out nothing at the site is open until later in the afternoon, so again we just walked around and got to know the place.
    Then we headed off for Old Montreal. It is a pretty cool place. Cobble stone streets, Notre Dame, lots of shops and the old port. We are going back on Saturday.
    In the evening we saw our first Just for Laughs show, The Ethnic Show, it was pretty funny. After the show we walked through the festival site again. There was much more going on and this time was quite interesting. Buskers, food trucks, an outside stage for free shows (these were in French 😔) and just things to see. We went into the Cabin of Jokes. It seats about 4 people and you get a free 5 minute comedy show.
    We took in lots on our first day. We both really appreciate the metro. I am really appreciating how people who work/live in Montreal are so accommodating with language. They are very willing to speak English. We have not run to anyone who doesn't speak both languages. Makes me think I should do a better job a learning to speak our nation's other language.
    Read more