Satellite
  • Day 4

    Bedtime Wrap

    March 6, 2017 in New Zealand ⋅ 🌙 17 °C

    Today we visited the Waitangi Treaty Grounds. There was an art gallery, featuring Māori Women artists with political agendas. We walked bit around the Te Kōngahu Museum of Waitangi. Next we did a guided tour of the grounds and learnt about the history of New Zealand. We finished the tour at the carved meeting house (Te Whare Rūnanga) and learnt about Māori culture. Then we looked at the historic Treaty House. We also visited the largest ceremonial war canoe called Ngātokimatawhaorua.

    Then we had lunch at Whare Waka Cafe. Lysa had a big falafel pita pocket and I had a big serve of nachos.

    Next was the gift shop where we looked around and then visited the carving center & resident carver or whakairo showed us two different musical instruments. He should us how men, women and children all played the instruments differently. He also showed us some decorative weapons and how to use them. Then went to finish the rest of the Te Kōngahu Museum of Waitangi. I would recommend the Treaty grounds for everyone it is great fun to explore.

    We jumped back into the car and drove to the Kawakawa Hundertwasser's toilets.

    We also made some last minute stops at a couple of caves and a waterfall. One of the caves had glow worms.

    Erin XO
    Read more