Satellite
  • Day 2

    Brașov

    October 17, 2017 in Romania ⋅ 🌙 12 °C

    We arrived in Bucharest late last night. Had a very warm welcome from the hostel receptionist and got shown our nice upgraded apartment for the night. Most luxury I’ve had for £6 :)

    In the morning we took a taxi back to the airport to collect our rental car- from the craziest man. He thought it was okay at 7am to blast Romanian music, drive ridiculously fast, repetitively flash his lights at anyone in his way... and all the while scrolling through Facebook and whatsapping his friends. Slightly bizarre. (See photo) I was happy to be getting out that car and have Stéphane do the driving for the next few days.

    Leaving the stressful city behind- we headed north to Braşov, passing a few fairytale Romanian castles on the way. First stop- Peles Castle which was beautiful and surrounded by lovely autumn trees. Cute little market stalls lined the way there too where we could taste some local sweets!
    After a quick lunch and power nap in the car, we got back on the road towards Bran Castle- famous as being Dracula’s Castle, in Transylvania. We wandered around there for a while which was nice and worth the visit!
    Best part of the day has to be the stunning views though. The mountains are incredible and so different surrounded by all these lovely unique Romanian villages.

    Staying in Braşov - Another lovely hostel tonight with a very friendly welcoming! We were recommended a local place for dinner which was amazing!! It’s called “La Ceaun” meaning “the cauldron”. Very home comforting granny style dishes - good bowl of soup and a mushroom pie for me, spicy cabbage rolls with polenta for Stéphane! And we had our first try at Romanian potato bread and red wine! Delicious. Stéphane finished the night off with a shot of wild pear palinca and then we went for a stroll around the city at night. Seems to be a lot going on here! Could definitely stay longer. :)
    Read more