Satellite
  • Day 9

    Ohrid was not so horid

    October 24, 2017 in North Macedonia ⋅ ⛅ 8 °C

    Today we left Skopje after a quick visit to the Memorial of Mother Teresa. Skopje is where she was born and lived for 18 years, so they have a lot about her here which is interesting! We also couldn’t leave Skopje without one last visit to the best bakery for chocolate donuts so we stocked up on them for our bus journey down to Ohrid. Here in the south of Macedonia is a very picturesque little place by lake Ohrid. I liked to walk about this place, it felt like they had preserved their culture a lot (not a McDonald’s in sight!) and I loved all the little cobbled streets. We wandered around for the day, enjoying the views from the fortress. We found it very quiet here but can imagine it to be buzzing in the summer months. Maybe September would be the best time to visit? The restaurants were very quiet but this meant we got the best seats! It was very cheap to eat out so we made the most of the amazing olives and Macedonian wine! It was a bit more difficult to get vegetarian food here but we managed to find a nice Italian place.

    I would definitely recommend visiting this place if you are in Macedonia- but maybe visit when its got more atmosphere during the summer. It got so cold at night too, I guess we are pretty high up! There is nice hiking to do around here apparently, but we only chose to spend a day here as we want to get to Albania tomorrow (which you can see me point to on the photo, across the lake)!
    Read more