Satellite
  • Day 16

    Football, gold and other stuff

    December 2, 2017 in Colombia ⋅ ⛅ 11 °C

    Got up and watched the World Cup draw. Much less interesting when everyone you support has been knocked out.

    Walked to Bogota's Museo del Oro today (literally the Museum of Gold). Houses ancient indigenous gold artifacts. Surprised there was enough to form an exhibition seeing as the conquistadors ran off with most of it.

    Then visited the pompously-named 'Palace of Justice' - Colombia's supreme court. The court was stormed by FARC rebels in 1985, very bloody. Colombia was actually at war with FARC (its own people!) until a few months ago. Lots of soldiers about the court complex but we were allowed in and wandered around.

    Finally stopped by to admire some church, can't remember the name. Marble arches and lavish decorations (not sure what Jesus would say). Rather than worshipers donating and then lighting candles, they have this board with LED light bulb candles. Drop a coin in and another lights up (pic attached). Had to give it a go - that's my 'candle' top right.

    Pics: (1) Old indigenous gold death mask (top) along with a traditional indigenous gold party hat (bottom); (2) The church candles; (3) Watching the football with Louis.
    Read more