Satellite
  • Day 20

    Americas, by Luis.

    December 6, 2017 in Peru ⋅ ☀️ 20 °C

    "Some sort of Stockholm syndrome blankets the world. Former Soviets no longer hide their desire for American goods. Indians play cricket against the English every year. On the ground here it’s more obvious than ever that Latinos love Spanish football. Today I’d like to write about the South American envy of North America.

    Throughout the last century the CIA undermined many countries in South America. Many South Americans perceive American tourists as stupid and arrogant. They also flock to buy goods from the United States despite this.

    Years of antagonism appears to have built a great respect for the quality of American goods. Ecuador uses the Dollar and everyone drives Chevrolet. All tourists are assumed to be American, most annoyingly. It is the repression of South American spirit that is more concerning to me however.

    Some locals have joined the Americans after a century of being beaten by them. Their commercialised and selfish approach to work is in stark contrast to that displayed to say, Pacific Islanders.

    The invasion of Hamburguestas and loss of what little cuisine existed prior serve as a great symbol of this change. Processed food is the only hygienic option around here. It would be a shame if the great food from Asia or Southern Europe was also replaced.

    It is not just Australia’s name that is similar to America. I hope New Zealand does not follow this course. The lack of cuisine has already been exposed."
    Read more