Satellite
  • Day 5

    Bangkok and onwards

    February 28, 2017 in Thailand ⋅ ☀️ 32 °C

    I visited another temple in Bangkok just across the river; Wat Arun, which was pretty impressive but unfortunately the main pillar had scaffolding on so couldn't get the best pictures. I took a little boat taxi for 15 Baht (about 40p) and weirdly for this price you can either go one stop for five minutes or ten+ stops for over an hour, which didn't seem to make sense economically but hey ho! 

    I stopped off at Chinatown where I had a tasty dish of I don't know what. It was quite crazy with loads of people and no real end of it in sight, there were a few tourists bustling around clearly not knowing where they were going. I hopped back on the boat to the flower market, as expected there were flowers and that was about it, it was pleasant enough but after seeing the first 20 stalls I felt I'd probably seen most of it. It would however be a horticulturists dream and it was interesting to see all the arrangements being hand made. 

    In the evening me and a guy from the hostel attempted to visit Bangkok's ghost tower, it's a massive building that isn't finished and you could supposedly climb up it to experience an eerie atmosphere and see an amazing sunset. No chance! The whole place was bordered up and the security guard waved us off. To be honest the climb looked ridiculously high and it was getting dark anyway so we opted to go for a meal and grab a tuk tuk back to the hostel.

    The next day I milled around the area and did some onward planning, I dodged the usual Khaosan Road vendors trying to sell me the world and found a little park by the river. I'm heading to Phuket to do some Thai boxing for a week, so looking forward to that although quite apprehensive as definitely not as fit as I used to be and not sure what I've let myself in for, plus it appears to be raining on the island. 

    In the evening I met up with a mate from my previous job. He'd been around SE Asia too and was heading home the next day from his travels, so we went for a few beers and some food. A random guy on the table nearby strangely wanted to take a photo of us, so I guess we're now up on a Thai guys Facebook page or something. 🤔
    Read more