Satellite
  • Day 40

    Jujuy

    February 8, 2020 in Argentina ⋅ ⛅ 12 °C

    My lovely amigos from Santiago highly recommenced going to San Pedro de Atacama instead of renting a car and driving up the desert for some less known attractions. That’s why we found ourselves in a totally different latitude.

    Time has come to rearrange our itinerary and decide where to go next. We could actually choose between Bolivia’s boarder and go to Salar de Uyuni or Argentinas boarder for the region of Jujuy.

    Thus we went to Argentina to get back to the original track I once planned for us. After a 13 hours bus drive we arrived in Salta. We then straight walked to a rental office and asked for the cheapest car available. We got a car for only 15 US$ per day. Our goal was a 3.5 hours drive to the north, a little desert village called Humahuaca. We reached it before midnight, sought for our hostel and went to bed.

    Our second day was fully loaded with different points of interest. We drove into the mountains near Humahuaca to see the Serranias del Hornocal aka. 14 colored mountains. On the way back we gave a lift to an old toothless couple from Humahuaca, after a while the car smelled like a horse/cattle farm. 😁

    Quebrada de Humahuaca was our second goal, yet we never reached this point, somehow misleaded by Google Maps. 😇 However, we drove over unpaved roads and small rivers until we finally made our way back to the carretera 🛣.

    Next stop Tilcara, a town famous for its Inca ruins. Svenja and I ate some Quinoa based lunch and visited this little town. That said we drove up a hill for a better view into a cajón and a cascada. 🙃 I guess the river only bears water through winter, hence no river, no waterfall but a lovely view over Tilcara and its surroundings. On the way down we picked up an Italian guy who went to Malta. 😋

    Purmamarca, our third village on this day was thought to eat a helado and visit the 7 colored mountains. After 30 minutes in this place we decided to hit the road again and drive to San Salvador de Jujuy for good.

    Our next and final day was a rainy day. Svenja told me rather not going for a hike but going back to Salta instead. So we did, sightseeing in Salta and just having a lazy day.

    El fin.
    Read more