Satellite
  • Day 45

    Esteros del Iberá

    February 13, 2020 in Argentina ⋅ ☀️ 30 °C

    Hola y hasta luego Corrientes. At 5.00 in the morning and after a 15 hours bus drive we arrived in the city located on the massive Rio Paraná. At the bus terminal we then waited a short time, approx. 7 hours 🤪, until our bus left to Concepción.

    With an urban bus we drove the next four hours from Corrientes to Concepción where the climate successively got more humid and hotter. In the middle of the afternoon we walked through the little village which is seamlessly attached to the national park of Iberá. The sun vaporized our brains while we were walking from the bus station to the hostel. Once we got there, the hotel/hostel owner told us that she does only have luxury beds, about 80 US$ per night. Fortunately she was super supportive and guided us to the house across the street where an old lady owned a little apartment with the affordable price of 20 US$ for one night.

    On that occasion we booked two nights in this cozy apartment. Although there was no proper kitchen area we somehow managed ourselves through the two days by cooking our noodles inside the electric kettle and steaming the veggies inside the microwave.

    After our first night we got up at 6 am. so that we were ready when Ricardo arrived. La Señora from the pricy hotel passed us the number of Ricardo Río, a local guide who got a 4WD car and two Kayaks. With him we spent the next 5 hours exploring the wonderful wetlands. A national park with only 20% of international tourism, and during January, February, March there are almost no tourists in this park due to the hot weather. We drove 30 km inside the park on sandy driveways.
    Even without any knowledge of Spanish and on the other side no English speaking abilities we were talking a lot about the caimans, tones of birds and other animals which we spotted on this untamed and wild wetland.

    On the next day we took the bus back to Corrientes. Here we are again. Hola Corrientes, bus terminal. But this time only 30 minutes. Bus Rio Uruguay will bring us to Puerto Iguazú.
    Read more