Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 193

    Segovia

    December 3, 2018 in Spain ⋅ 🌫 1 °C

    We came here because Alan wanted to see the Roman Aquaduct, and it did not disappoint.
    This city is an absolute gem.
    We free camped in the area designated for autocaravans next to the bullring - a very short walk to the centre and to the start of the aquaduct.. The bullring looked derelict but it is still used a few months per year for its intended purpose.
    The walled city remains intact and is full of tight lanes with interesting shops, a huge cathedral and numerous ancient churches -it must have one of the highest church to area ratios in the country -which is some going in Spain.
    The walled city sits on high ground high above two rivers which converge below the Alcazar - a quite magnificent building in its own right and only one of many within the walls.
    The Romans fed this city with water by running a supply from the mountains to the south, the source being some 15km away. The final connection to the city is made via an aquaduct which was built circa 100 AD. Our walk into the city started at the first visible sign of the aquaduct which unfolds as we walked down the slope to the city centre - the columns get taller towards the bottom of the valley and after a right angle bend the sight of the final section is awesome. The scale of it has to be seen to be believed. It is quite remarkable and.is in great condition because it was used to carry water right up until the late 1990s.
    We spent a day and a half looking around the city and took an audio tour of the Alcazar which was very interesting.
    Segovia is home to the Artillery Academy as well as a local University.
    Read more