Satellite
  • Day 224

    Hong Kong

    January 3, 2019 in Hong Kong ⋅ ⛅ 13 °C

    We have arrived after an uneventful flight Virgin Atlantic, getting to our Hotel at 6 pm local time
    Arrived feeling like zombies - after a quick shower we looked for some food and found an eatery which was busy with locals. Great comedy moments as the waiters tried to explain the concept of their restaurant which was a Chinese Fondue known to all over here as the Hot Pot.. Not sure what meat we were cooking but it was interesting and tasty.
    Hong Kong was pretty much shrouded in mist during our stay so the iconic city-scape did not appear in all its glory. Karen and I were also under the weather with a flu type bug which, together with the high humidity, dampened our enthusiasm to revisit the sights we had already seen on our previous visit.
    Due to our condition the exotic smells from the various street food sellers and many eateries could not temp us. We ate very simply for the rest of our time here.
    We could not find the marvellous Dim Sum restaurant in the IFC mall where we had previously enjoyed a fabulous meal. Instead we went to a renowned Dim Sum eatery (1 Michelin Star) which was extremely disappointing. We walked all around the mall at every level and decided that the restaurant we had visited previously must have closed or moved.
    The walk of fame was closed for re-development so we could not squeeze the bronze pecs of Bruce Lee this trip.
    We visited Hong Kong Island via the Star ferry - we walked up to the botanic gardens and to the Temple. There was a sign outside the temple advising people that they could not smoke inside which was quite ironic - many many people were buying boxes of 12 incense sticks and lighting them all together before planting them in front of their preferred icon. The atmosphere was very thick with it all - there must have been 1000 sticks burning simultaneously.
    The only fat people we saw here other than one man in the city and oversees travellers in the hotel were the Macdonalds staff behind the counter at the airport as we left.
    Read more