Satellite
  • Day 241

    Brisbane

    January 20, 2019 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 29 °C

    We returned to Brizzie to look after the girls for J and R again for three days. Another fun three days visiting the Lagoon at Redcliffe, Frew Park and a trip into the city - taking the City-Cat from New Park into the South Bank where we lunched at a sushi bar.
    A quick visit into the city to get Claire's UGG boots in blisteringly hot conditions before an escape back to air conditioning of the car along the river again - the girls waved at daddy's offices as we passed.
    We did much research on vehicles to accompany the camping equipment and have eventually managed to find a suitable one which we have arranged to pick up at the weekend.
    Australia day this weekend so the country will be celebrating. The Borumba Dam site we were at last weekend where there were perhaps forty campers during our stay will be full with 500 set ups - probably each one with boat in tow - the dam will be very busy.
    Our first experience of the Australia Day celebrations has been a good one - we went into the South Bank in Brisbane and had a mooch around the Streets market and then were drawn into the Plough Inn which was packed with revellers. They were setting up an eating challenge competition which comprised of 20 people around a table - each was given 2 kg of bbq spare rib and the task was to eat it as quickly as possible. Tactics were very different - Sean the reigning champ from last year stripped the meat from the bone prior to chomping - this was very successful as he won again in 8 minutes 43 seconds. Other tactics included not taking the challenge too seriously, taking it very slowly, then after 8 minutes and 43 seconds returning with the huge pile of ribs to their family for a good free nosh. We benefited as one family on the table next to us had both parents in the competition who used the second tactic and they offered the ribs around. They were very tasty.
    We listened to some live music before J, R and the girls joined us late afternoon where we enjoyed a lovely sharing meal at Popolos an Italian restaurant on the South Bank. The girls played on the park climbing frames and slides prior to the evening entertainment which was a firework spectacular on the river in front of us.Sunday saw us go to Renee's mum and dad's house for an afternoon of chat and great food. many thanks go to them once again.
    On Monday we went to Bribie Island for a morning at the beach followed by a fish and chip lunch.
    Tuesday was Sopie and Samantha's first day of their new academic year and we were able to watch them meet with their friends and new teachers after the holidays. The girls were weighed down with all the books, pens etc that they will need as they carried it all in in big boxes.
    In the afternoon Jamie and I went to pick up the new motor.
    After that we had quiet day to prepare ourselves for the journey to New Zealand
    Read more