Satellite
  • Day 311

    Hydeaway Bay

    March 31, 2019 in Australia ⋅ 🌧 30 °C

    A quiet little spot between two lovely beaches. This place had been recommended to us by an Australian couple we met at Bribie Island campsite, and as it was not far from Airlie Beach we decided to see it for ourselves. This is the furthest point north we will travel this time, before returning to Brisbane (stopping off at various places en route). We received a very warm greeting at the campsite reception and were shown to our pitch. No sooner had we opened the trailer to start putting up the tent than it started to rain - real tropical rain, an absolute downpour. Immediately 2 people appeared from 2 different pitches offering to help put up our tent - despite the torrential rain. One chap was soaked through already and was more than happy to stay out in the rain helping us. It was still hot despite the rain, and so we decided to just carry on and get wet, very wet!!!! It is a very different experience in tropical heat, and as soon as the tent and awning was up we showered. Another great campsite with excellent facilities and not busy at all. The next day we drove to Hydeaway beach, where we tried fishing again - once again no success. We then drove onto Dingo beach, where we visited the Dingo pub (very busy). We sat next to a group of 4 Australians who were discussing Brexit!!! it is frequently talked about here, and each time we admit what an absolute fiasco it has all become.
    The following day we enjoyed a light lunch at Montes Retreat which is an establishment built right next to the beach. It had just re-opened two years after being demolished by Cyclone Debbie. The food was delicious. Afterwards we had a walk along the beach. Karen is a great wildlife spotter and noticed a teeming mass of small fish in the shallows, we could not see what was getting their attention but they seemed to be feeding on something.
    Read more