Satellite
  • Day 500

    Bridport

    October 6, 2019 in England ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    We stayed on a site just north of Bridport, our intention was to do some walking along the coastal path, as this is a section that we have not previously completed.
    We spent one lazy day at the site as the rain was pretty continuous and K wanted to get on with some sewing. Two new baby quilts to get done before Xmas and our trip down under in January.
    On Tuesday we walked into Bridport and got the bus to Charmouth, where we set off down to the sea to join the south west coastal path as we intended to walk back to our site via West Bay. This is a hilly section, and the forecast was that there may be the odd shower coming through by mid afternoon so we set off quite early for us. The walk was fabulous with great views from the top of the cliffs - we took in Golden Cap where we could see from Portland Bill to the east through to the Devonshire coast in the west.
    Just after that the odd shower did come through!!!!!! It was almost biblical- we were soaked through in a 15 minute squall complete with hail stones and driving rain. Luckily the weather turned for long enough for the wind to dry us out a bit prior to a tea stop in West Bay - we left the cafe still dripping.
    Walking back to our site we were quite weary after a total of 12.5 miles of mostly ascent and descent along this beautiful section of our coast.
    On Wednesday we walked into Bridport passing through a farm shop famous as one of the locations in the Broadchurch TV series which was next to our site. A small market was operating in Bridport which we found to be a nice town with lots of independent shops.
    Read more