Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 553

    Ironbridge

    November 28, 2019 in England ⋅ 🌧 9 °C

    We stayed for two nights in Ironbridge on our route north on a CL site on the south side of the gorge at the top of the hill.. The weather was drizzle wet for most of the time.
    We soon realised that this location merits a much longer stay, it is the cradle of the Industrial revolution and is a Unesco World Heritage site laden with places of interest to visit.
    We walked down to the bridge which has been recently renovated and returned to its original colour. It was built by Abraham Darby III to the design of an architect from Shrewsbury - Thomas Prichard. Despite the rain the views as we walked and the town at the other side of the bridge were very pretty. The shops were festooned for Christmas and were stocked with unusual crafty items, so we did some of our Christmas shopping here. We then walked along the river to Coalport and up to Blist Hill returning via the woods to Ironbridge. The River Severn was quite full after all the rain. The walk back up the hill to our site was extremely steep, but we managed it and felt that we had certainly had the exercise we needed today!
    Read more