Satellite
  • Day 615

    Byron Bay

    January 29, 2020 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 31 °C

    We dropped the girls off at school first thing then completed the final packing of the car.
    Jamie's tradies were busy concreting the pool surrounds ready for the tilers to start their work later this week - all looking good for a dip on our return from this road trip.
    First stop was Byron Bay, a must do on the east coast trip on our way southwards. It is very close to the most eastern point on the Australian continent where on the headland is the famous lighthouse.
    We found a site at the heart of the town and 10 minutes walk from the beach. We are surrounded by Europeans- German, French, Italian with the odd Aussie too, big blue skies and a cooling breeze. After putting up the tent in blazing heat we cooled off in the pool then took a short wander into town. The town is full of youngsters on the gap year circuit but also has a loyal following of oldies- buskers line the streets and beach foreshore - a very vibrant and colourful place. Our site is a haven for bird life. Ibis walk amongst us picking up any scraps, magpies are aplenty, a kookaburra came to watch us from the top of our car and parrots chatter away in the trees. A duck is walking by as I write this.
    The following day was spent having a further look around the town followed by a trip to the beach. The ocean was very warm and the surf good fun to get amongst. The waters were crystal clear and we could see fish in the waves as they came to engulf us.
    On Friday we took a trip into the hinterland. Our journey took us from BB through Bangalow to Lismore - where Karen had seen a quilting shop advertised - and eventually on to Nimbin. The route took us through some beautiful countryside, rolling hills, lush green after recent rains, and along twisty - twiny passages through old stands of rain forest.
    The quilting shop did not dissappoint. After my second random breath test of the trip we headed off to Nimbin, which is a town renowned for its alternative culture. In 1973 a music festival was held here and a lot of the hippies simply stayed on to live in the area. The town has a strong affinity to Hemp and the locals are continuously lobbying for its de-classification. Hemp products were in most of the shops which were primarily selling colourful clothes or pharmaceutical hemp product. The sweet smell in each shop came from incense sticks. The town has a very laid back appeal and the high street very colourful.
    We found a small Asian restaurant and enjoyed some Dim Sum dumplings and a refreshing smoothie. The shop owner was not laid back, she persuaded us to have a particular smoothie then chided here oppo for not having any of the ingredients. She fired him off down the road for the pineapple juice then on his return he advised that there was no orange juice either - this brought about another bollocking. She explained that her brain was addled due to the very hot summer they have been experiencing, that was her excuse anyway - she then went immediately on to perform some strange Yogic exercises in front of us whilst oppo ran over the road to get the OJ. The dumplings and smoothies were very tasty.
    A couple of signs on other shops illustrated the general laid back attitude of the town.
    We visited the candle factory in the town and the proprietor advised that his factory is the source of many used in the Warner Brothers and Disney films. He gave us a short demo of his art.
    On Saturday we walked up to the Lighthouse through the Palm side walk, via the most eastern point and caught the last tour of the Lighthouse. It was closing due to the extreme heat. The breeze at the top of the tower was delightful. On returning to BB we saw some turtles in the water below us then a pod of five dolphins fishing in the inshore waters below the lighthouse. Then we settled down with our books on the nearest beach for a couple of hours. In the evening we wandered into town to view the twilight market and dallied on the foreshore to listen to a busker - he was playing classical guitar to a very high level in front of many onlookers. He had to play up loud to overcome the chatter of the parrots in the trees overlooking the foreshore. On Sunday we visited the monthly community market which takes place along the beach foreshore. A wonderful array of stalls, very colourful and many tastings of a variety of food. Everything a good market should be! The town was once again buzzing with activity, with various musicians playing along the foreshore and tucked in alcoves off the Main Street. We really love this laid back town - always something to watch and such a great vibe. We spent the mid part of the day in the shade next to our trusty fan outside the tent. It really is SOOOOO hot! Late afternoon we ventured down to the Main beach, where there was a delightful breeze blowing. Another dip in the sea to cool down, followed a couple of hours reading our books in the by now bearable temperatures.
    Read more