Satellite
  • Day 653

    Scarborough

    March 7, 2020 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 28 °C

    We moved up to the top of the headland to a different site near to the Marina and locally famous fish shop and restaurant - Morgans. Before we did the short drive across the headland we wandered back to the Woody Point pier - another large chap was fishing at the end with a few rods out. After about 5 minutes there was some activity and one of his reels started screaming. He had evidently bagged a big fish and after about 5 minutes he got it to the surface, he was hoping it may have been a Ray but instead it was a very large cat fish - probably about 15- 20 lbs in weight. In trying to escape it had managed to get itself tangled up with another fisherman's line and as it was being brought out of the water the lines snapped and it was gone.
    After setting up we wandered into Scarborough Beach, where live musicians were playing - they had to contend with a strong wind..
    On Sunday we wandered into Redcliffe to view the Sunday Market, which is a lively affair with musicians playing on stalls and the usual array of feeding stations and artisan stalls.
    Redciffe is famous for being the birth place of the Gibb family who brought up their sons in the town. A small street dedicated to the music, lives and careers of the Bee Gees lies opposite the pier that they used to play on and under as children in the fifties.
    Monday was a very wet day with 24 hours of rainfall so we chilled out, Karen sewing and Alan reading. We found the inspiration to finish a number of the cryptic crosswords we had previously struggled with.
    We wattsapped Kirsty in the evening to wish her a happy birthday for the following day. We have never seen her quite so happy.
    On Tuesday we visited Jamie and Renne whilst the girls were at school and Renee prepared a wonderful salmon salad for lunch - we returned to Scarborough prior to the girls coming back after school.
    Wednesday saw J, R and Summer visit us at the site and we all wandered around the corner to Morgans where we enjoyed a lovely fish lunch followed by a very pleasant ice cream.
    On Thursday we returned to Eatons Hill to see Summer and the family once again and enjoy a bbq - a large crimson snapper on Jamie's BBQ- very tasty. Jamie opened the Champers to celebrate the arrival of Summer. The girls greatly enjoyed the new pool.
    Read more