Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 743

    Bedale

    June 5, 2020 in England ⋅ ⛅ 10 °C

    The weather was very kind for the first part of the week, and we enjoyed our cycle rides and walks in the surrounding countryside once again. Farmers were cutting and bailing green barley (to use as winter feed for animals) prior to the forecast rain.
    We cycled to Bedale and on to Masham and took another walk alongside the river. The water level in the river was quite low - one duck had 15 ducklings following behind which was nice to see.
    The market square at Masham had all the bench seats turned over and taped off to stop motorcyclists from congregating and breaking the social distancing recommendations as had happened the weekend previous.
    Wednesday saw the weather change and we had overnight rain which was very welcome to the farming community surrounding us, the temperatures also dropped by 10 degrees.
    The field in front of us sprang back into life following the rain - the sheep and lambs are now enjoying the new grass shoots.
    We found some "crunchy grain" flour in a bakery at Leyburn and the resulting bread is fabulous - probably not good for the waistline. First attempt at sourdough was quite successful but there is room for improvement next try.
    Facetime and whatsapp calls to Australia and London continue to be a joy.
    It has been nice sharing Sophie and Samanth's birthdays with them on Facetime too.
    Read more