Satellite
  • Day 757

    Bedale

    June 19, 2020 in England ⋅ ☁️ 15 °C

    The weather has been a mixed bag this last week but generally better than the previous one. We saw some sunshine on Saturday and enjoyed a bbq on site after a walk in the country side - ending up in Bedale where we purchased the Saturday paper.
    On Sunday we cycled into Richmond, arriving just in time to see a load of police activity and youngsters carrying banners for a BML demonstration. It was not what we were expecting when we set off. The market square was full of demonstrators and onlookers - we kept our social distance by passing the demo to drop down into the valley below the castle. Crossing the bridge over the River Swale we enjoyed a nice walk along the valley by the river before climbing up the valley sides to return to Richmond at high level.A beautiful walk in stunning countryside. On our return the demo had dissipated with no signs of there having been any problem.
    We confined our exercise to walks near the site until Wednesday, when we ventured out in the van to Northallerton - filling up with Autogas on the way. Karen had arranged to visit a sewing shop in Northallerton prior to meeting Donald and Margaret at the open market there. Nicola and Claire joined us later and we all returned to the site for a socially distanced afternoon tea.
    Thursday was wet most of the day so we stayed on site, then on Friday we cycled to Leyburn to post a birthday present to Jemima who is two next week. We got a little wet as we cycled through low cloud but made it back before the heavens opened in the afternoon.
    We have informed Stella (the campsite owner) of our intention to move on from this site on July 13th, as long as campsites are once again open by then. It will feel strange to leave our little haven here - we will have been here for 16 weeks by the time we go. We are so pleased that we found such a beautiful spot to spend the lockdown period, and are very grateful to Stella and Steve for their support and help and friendliness during this difficult time. This is a campsite we will return to again and again, as it has everything we require and is in a beautiful part of the country.
    Read more