Satellite
  • Day 769

    Bedale

    July 1, 2020 in England ⋅ ☁️ 17 °C

    A mixed bag of weather this week - our last week in this area for some time.
    On Saturday we cycled to Easby Abbey and joined Karen's family for a picnic before we walked along the old railway footpath into Richmond. K couldnot resist the bargains at Lidyl there, so we ended up laden down for the return journey.
    Sunday - a lazy day in the rain at the van was followed on Monday by a 15 mile cycle ride (each way) to a local fruit picking farm north of Northallerton. The ride took us through lovely countryside lanes - we cycled across the Swale river through Danby Wiske to the farm where we met up with Margaret and Donald. Blackcurrant picking was the order of the morning activity after which we returned to enjoy a BBQ at our site in the evening sunshine.
    Tuesday saw us do our long walk through the countryside and on Wednesday we cycled 15 miles south of our site to have a look at Ripon. We had been looking forward to visiting the city for some weeks but strong winds, rain or family outings had prevented us from doing so.
    We took a picnic and bought a hot drink in a cafe by the cathedral where we stopped for lunch.
    We did not find Ripon as charming as some of the other places we have visited. It is nice enough but we preferred Richmond, Leyburn and Masham of the places we have visited nearby.
    The ride to and from Ripon was delightful, again through beautiful countryside, on a quiet B road.
    Thursday was a site day as The Caravanman was returning to fix the fridge on the van - all now working perfectly.
    Alan's lap top developed a fault with the power connector on Friday - a quick walk into the village computer repair shop confirmed that it probably just needs a soldering job on a dry joint. Unfortunately they were unable to do the repair. Photos of our travel will have to wait until we get the repair done - hopefully in Linclon next week.
    Read more