Satellite
  • Day 783

    Lincoln

    July 15, 2020 in England ⋅ ☁️ 15 °C

    We returned to the city centre, as we had booked tickets to see the Castle and its attractions.
    The castle was built by William the Conqueror in 1068 to help subdue the locals and it has been kept in excellent condition.
    One of the original copies of the Magna Carta was sent to Lincoln Cathedral where it has remained ever since. The original copy is on display within the castle which we were able to view prior to watching a 20 minute film which described the backdrop to its existence and its historical significance.
    The castle has, over the centuries been used as a court house and prison and the Crown Court house lies within the castle walls. The prison was rebuilt in Victorian times and is open to visitors - we enjoyed the displays and the stories behind some of the inmates. The prison chapel was quite interesting as it was built to maintain the solitary confinement principle.
    Unfortunately the weather did not perform as expected and the dry day forecast turned out to be wet and drizzly so our walk around the pristine castle walls did not show off the views to their best.
    We thoroughly enjoyed the visit, returning in late afternoon.
    Read more