Satellite
  • Day 334

    Without a Clue

    March 24, 2020 in Saudi Arabia ⋅ ☀️ 30 °C

    From yesterday on Saudi is on partial lockdown: curfew from1900hrs – 0600 hrs. Only food stores, petrol stations and pharmacies are open. Every town a ghost town.
    Regardless of this time frame I have been asked several times by police to please leave and go home. All Saudis would be at home under these circumstances. I show them my home, some shrug and give the okay, others ask me to move on but not before apologetically offering me some water or chocolate bars, but not offering a solution where I can stay. Out of sight out of mind.
    Driving through the country I feel like a thief: every police post, man or car giving me a sinking feeling, fearing they stop me. But no, miraculously they all let me pass.
    I am now reunited in the desert with some German overlanders. I am feeling so much better in their company, not needing to cope with this stress by myself.
    Initially we intended to stay in the desert, well-hidden and safe for a few more days. This morning however we received the news that Jordan has declared full lock down, no more walks to the grocery store. Food rations being distributed to the houses. Wow, this can happen to us as well! Then we are well and truly stuffed!!
    So what to do? Renting an apartment is out of the question with Rex, houses seem to be too expensive, the holiday rental apps are not really a help. So tomorrow we will make our way to the mountains, hoping we will find some property we can stay on, idyllically situated under some date palms would be nice for us romantics, somewhere where we can stay with our vans or at least park them up there as well, with some water and electricity. Where we can wait until the whole mess blows over, whenever this might be. And in reach of food distribution should this become necessary. There just has to be a place somewhere that we can rent for an affordable price. And that keeps us cool over the hot months to come
    We will be leaving tomorrow in search of our safe haven, wherever this may be. And hopefully, find it.
    Read more