Satellite
  • Day 389

    Pinch me

    May 18, 2020 in Saudi Arabia ⋅ ☁️ 25 °C

    So here I am sitting in this office, waiting for the General, when finally the door opens and I get summoned into the sanctum of what I later learn is the highest police official in the province of Al Baha.
    I step into this office, the Director General, that’s his title, an imposing man sitting on his desk, to his right four more highly decorated POs sitting and some other with less decoration on their lapels standing in attention. And here Elisabeth marches in, with at dignified smile on her face and being seated opposite the Director General, DG in short.
    “Salaam aleikum” - “Aleikum Assalaam” - “Kaif haluk?” - “Hamdullah”
    At least I know how to behave by now.
    Thank goodness, as my vocabulary nearly has run out, the DG turns his attention to the dapper Major (or Whatever his rank is) asking what he can do for me. A long explanation ensues, DG nods his head, more questions and answers and finally he turns to me and says in a General’s voice of course:
    DG: your car stays here!
    Me, thinking shock horror: No! My car will not stay here!
    DG: Yes, your car will stay here and I will repair it!
    Me, what! Did I just hear this correctly???: - - - - - ah, ah, thank you very much, but apparently there are no spare parts in all of Saudi!
    DG: I will repair your car.
    Me: I am so very greatful! Thank you so much! (If the police needs a part they for sure will get it! He’s my biggest hope!)
    DG: when the car is repaired we deliver it to you (Ghee, don’t even need to pick it up!) and you will get the travel permit to Jeddah at any time you want. And I will get you a room.
    Even a travel permit when the state is in full lock down again after Ramadan. WOW! That’s amazing news and a huge relief for me. I mean, everything is!
    Me: Ahm, this is really very nice of you, but I have a room.
    DG: No, you will get a hotel room.
    Me: I cannot get a hotel room, I have a dog!
    DG: No, you will get a room and we will take care of your dog.
    You can feel he is not used to be contradicted when he voices a command, but my times as Safety Advisor comes into good stead, so I am not too easily intimidated and I fight for me being allowed to stay in my beautiful place. Of course with Rex. And succeed!
    DG: I driver will come and drive you to your home.
    I am telling him I for sure can organise a pick up, but no way, he has organised somebody already (whilst we were talking! I don’t know how he did that, honestly! No surprise he is the DG of the district, with this efficiency!)
    Some pleasantries follow, everybody in the room wants to know, where I am from, how I get here, Alone by car so far, and how old are you! 65! Hammdullah! Here everone wants to know your age, a very strange concept for us Westerners but it doesn’t fail to surprise them to see a woman my age to travel by herself and they really bend over backwards to accommodate me in any way possible.
    As an afterthought he asks me if I am in need of money! Is there no limit to their generosity?
    Finally I am told the driver has arrived, I, kind of unable to express my gratitude but thanking again profusely, and I am good byed out of the office.
    Totally stunned I follow the Major who hands me on to somebody else, whom I continue to follow down the stairs. Outside the driver is awaiting and the tow truck is already parked beside my car, waiting for my car keys to be handed over.
    And then Rex and I are chauffeured home.
    In the evening the mechanic contacted me to tell me the same diagnosis as I had before, telling me he now has to order the parts. Lets cross all our fingers, he gets hold of them; somehow.
    After getting home, letting everything that happened to me today sink in I am totally baffled, shocked by the generosity and preparedness of these people to help me. They really do anything in their power to help a foreigner in need. They go so far beyond anything I could possibly expect, it leaves me speechless, humbled and utterly grateful. They will always have a very special place in my heart.
    Somewhere in our conversation the DG ordered his phone number to be given to me, so I can contact him any time I run into trouble. This is for some smooth sailing through Saudi, hey? Somebody doing the dirty on me – let me quickly call the DG of the AL Baha district, he will sort you out! Oh, I ran through some red light here? You might want to discuss this with my buddy the … Problem sorted! But you know what? This will not be necessary, there will always be somebody to help me out of a situation. Of any situation, I am sure. I am a guest in this country after all.
    Read more