Satellite
  • Day 529

    On the Road Again

    October 5, 2020 in Saudi Arabia ⋅ ☀️ 17 °C

    And then the day arrived: we packed up and left Jeddah, heading for the mountains. Had I feared I have lost my enthusiasm this fear was unfounded. It took me a little while to find my swing though, a few days to experience this chest exploding feeling of happiness when behind the wheel consciously coming to realise the extent of my undertaking, the exotic surrounds and the freedom I am able to experience.
    It is so wonderful being on the road again, setting up camp for the night, having the freedom to leave the next morning or stay another day. And what I missed the most being cooped up in the confines of the compound, experiencing the boundless hospitality of the Saudis. Being invited for a cup of tea when passing a shop, being waved to when driving past, being asked for numerous selfies, seeing the surprise on people’s faces when they see the dog on the driver’s seat, being invited for a Kapsa dinner. Kapsa is the Saudi national dish, being prepared with chicken, or sheep, or goat, or camel, and rice. The true one pot miracle.
    What is very sad though is that I have forgotten all the Arabic I had learned, which wasn’t very much by any means, whilst in Jeddah. Okay, I had studied some Arabic online, however all the courses are in the official language, which is the basis for all the Arabic languages, but not all the words are the same or even similar. So, people are having problems understanding me, my denglish accent doesn’t help neither I assume. There is some work to be done.
    Of course, I had to have a stopover in Al Baha, to visit the friends I had made when in this town for two months in spring. They fussed about us as only Saudis can include preparations for a birthday party for Ella, who turned eight.
    Now it is up to new frontiers. I wonder what the next months will bring. The international borders will not open before January the earliest. This leaves us plenty of time to explore all the areas in Saudi, previously unexplored by us.
    Read more