Satellite
  • Day 16

    Day 14 Tasiilaq, Greenland

    August 15, 2019 in Greenland ⋅ ⛅ 6 °C

    Today we visited the substitute port of Tasiilaq part of South Eastern Greenland. Greenland is now it’s own country with appropriate representation and governance although it still retains Danish currency and close economic and militate you ties. The population is mainly Inuit and they have their own language although most have some Danish and some English as well.

    The township itself is about 2500 strong and is as you might imagine fairly basic. There is a small supermarket, a couple of other souvenir/tourist shops, a post office and bank. They have a decent size hospital and school, a couple of churches and a largish port (the main industry being fishing). It takes about an hour to do a loop of the township and see the sights such as they are. The day was an absolute cracker, cool - about 9 degrees - but clear sunny skies after the morning fog had lifted and no wind. the harbour is quite small and there is a lot of loose sea ice floating around (photos attached).

    We left the ship using tender craft to get ashore about 10.30 and were ready to return about 12.15 but very worthwhile despite the short stay.

    A sea day tomorrow as we make our way to Reykjavik where we now have 3 days instead of two due to the other cancelled Greenland port.

    Trivia update - a somewhat frustrating 3rd place today but still regularly featuring in the top three so still happy enough...

    Photos attached - Sea ice; Sea ice and fog!; Tasiilaq; more ice; 3 shots of err downtown...; the local bar (closed when we called in); the Red Church; Nautica at anchor in Tasiilaq harbour
    Read more