Satellite
  • Day 19

    Day 17/18 Reykjavik and at sea

    August 18, 2019 in Iceland ⋅ ⛅ 14 °C

    Well the last Reykjavík day was supposed to be the day we finally went to go whale watching.... But, you guessed it, the weather gods simply will not play ball and it was cancelled (again) due to high winds and rough seas. Having explored most of Reykjavík in the previous two days and the alternative tours on offer not being that attractive, we opted for a day on board.

    Consequently there is little to report apart from our stash of “O” points which you get for winning various games, reaching levels that might enable us to buy the ship when we get off!

    We enjoyed both Reykjavik and Iceland generally, I can report that I bought back to the ship a few examples of locally brewed beers (aside from the ones I sampled on land) and they are uniformally excellent. Even the local lager (Polar Beer) is passable and the other boutique beers are really good.

    We are now en route to Derry, Northern Ireland and we’ve attached some photos of things around the ship to give an idea of the facilities on offer on this small 700 passenger vessel. Tonight we have an invite to Drinks with the Captain for a couple of hours before we due at the specialist Italian restaurant on board “Toscana”.

    Photos - the Grand Dining Room; the crew undertaking a safety drill on the wharf in Reykjavik; the Nautica lounge (the bloke at the lecturn is Shaun our cruise director); Horizons lounge at the front of the ship; a sample of the cruise daily showing the sort of things that happen on a sea day!
    Read more