Satellite
  • Day 61

    El Tatio Geysers

    March 16, 2020 in Chile ⋅ ☁️ 13 °C

    Got my warmest clothes out of my rucksack for this morning. We got up at 4am and took a Bus for 2 hours to get to the El Tatio Geysers. Almost 4300m above sea level, the geysers and hot springs bubble away in a massive volcanic crater. It has been so impressive to see these Geysers in full action. Also we went there that early, as they are even more active during the night and while sunrise.
    This is the largest Geyser field in the Southern Hemisphere and has more than 80 geysers, 30 of which are always active. And can you believe, they are shooting forth 86 Degree Celsius water from below the surface of the earth and give some sense of the active volcanic activity under your feet. I really loved this experience as Ive never seen something like this before. And also being on such a high level of altitude has been interesting. I was really shocked at how quickly i got out of breath by just walking around...
    On our way back to San Pedro, we stopped in a little village where they were selling Llama meat. Firstly we saw some standing next to the road and everyone was taking photos of them and said how cute and sweet they looked. And five minutes later you could see the meat on the grill.
    Read more