Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Morning in St Petersburg

    April 8, 2018 in Russia ⋅ ☀️ 1 °C

    We had an early morning wake up from Heidi at around 4am. We tried to get her to stay in bed til six but to no avail! We had had about 7-8 hours sleep so it wasn’t dreadful. Eli made her some milk and porridge for breakfast and the rest of us had arisen by 6.

    Nothing much would be open this time of the morning but we decided to head out at and enjoy not having so many people around. It was worth it to get photos without lots of people in them!

    So we trooped out - takes a bit of time donning all the coats, scarves etc and we were feeling hot by the time we left the apartment. It was a lovely 1 degrees outside so we were glad of all the wraps however.

    The streets were quite empty. We would have to wait a bit for breakfast too as nothing was open yet. We walked in the opposite direction to yesterday and finally saw the beautiful buildings we had been expecting. I love the colours and elaborate detail. Pity they don’t build like that today!

    We made a sumptuous breakfast at The Coffee House. It was a challenge trying to figure out what the menu was as the only English words on the menu were breakfast, lunch and dinner. We managed with some help from the waitress who spoke better English than we did Russian. However its surprising how little English is spoken. Even in the toruisty places like the museums etc they don’t speak English! Kyria is doing well with the Russian she has learnt so far.

    I’ve decided to split the day up into different footprints as I’m going to struggle to limit each day to 10 photos otherwise so apologies if that’s a pain to read! So thus ends this footprint!
    Read more